The first football kit

Later on today, Milin will wear his first football kit and go to his first football lesson. I’ll be there, watching from the side of the hall, and probably feeling like the proudest, happiest mum in the world.

Little Kickers

Tony thinks I might be being over-eager. He’s not so sure that we needed to book our two-year-old son into a term of football with Little Kickers. I don’t agree.

Milin loves kicking a ball about. He’s loved doing it since he could stand on his own two feet alone. He kicks with purpose, he’s got a good aim and sends the ball off, fast, in the direction he wants it to go. He can kind-of tackle and dribble. He gets the concept of a goal – and he’s also watched enough football on TV to get the concept of a dive too. He is used to following instructions and a classroom environment thanks to nursery.

I know we will spend the next decade at after-school clubs. I know  we have years of early starts on cold Saturday mornings ahead of us to spend on the sidelines of the hockey or rugby or football pitch. I know I’ll probably tire of the endless sports activities. But I still think Milin’s ready for Little Kickers.

If he isn’t, that’s fine. We’ll try again another month or year.

Yesterday was the last day of the football season. We of course had the crucial games on the TV, it was a rainy afternoon and Milin and Jasmin had their toys strewn across the lounge. Until Milin wanted to try his kit on. “It’s my football kit. This is my football kit.” He kept on repeating this to us. He was so proud.

Milin barely stood still for long enough for me to get a photo of him in his first kit. He was so excited about wearing it, and so excited about the prospect of starting football lessons, that he ran around even faster than normal. He kicked, saved, dived – he loved every second of being a footballer.

Looking at my beautiful little boy in his first kit made my heart swell. I know there will be many more kits. Whether he chooses netball or rugby or football – whatever it is, I hope he will grow up loving sports. He might be too young to understand much about the game of football. But today, he’s a little boy in his first kit who knows you’ve just got to kick the ball. He knows it’s fun and feels good and something you can work hard to get better at. I don’t think he’s too young to be learning any of that.

25 Comments on The first football kit

1. Eline
    May 12, 2014 at 8:37 am (3 years ago)

He’s just adorable in his football kit! I love that you’re not afraid to encourage him in the things he shows an interest in. Two is young but he seems like a very determined little chap! And you’re right, if it turns out he’s not ready, you can always try again another time. I’d love to hear how his first session went, will you keep us updated?

• Mummy Says
      May 12, 2014 at 9:26 am (3 years ago)

Hi Eline, yes I will definitely keep you updated with a post about how it goes! X

2. mummytries
    May 12, 2014 at 9:19 am (3 years ago)

Oh bless him, very cute! Hope it went well and Milin enjoyed it (& you!) xx #MagicMoments

3. mummyhargreaves
    May 12, 2014 at 9:43 am (3 years ago)

He’s definitely not too young, Lil G joined soccer tots when he was two. I agree that if they show an interest then you must introduce them to the sport. Lil G is enrolled on the ‘Little City Strikers’ for September. I’m so excited. ps lovely post x

• Mummy Says
      May 12, 2014 at 9:46 am (3 years ago)

Ooh exciting! It must be so lovely watching them develop and improve at a sport x

4. beingmum2014
    May 12, 2014 at 9:54 am (3 years ago)

I love that it is mum who wants to start his footy career…:)

5. Notmyyearoff
    May 12, 2014 at 10:06 am (3 years ago)

He looks really cute in his footy kit. We weren’t quite sure if z would like footy but he was loving having a kickabout in the park regularly so we tried it and he does love it (most days). He loves his coach and doesn’t really listen too much but apparently that’s ok. Hope you have lots of fun on these early morning Saturdays to come 🙂

6. stressymummy1
    May 12, 2014 at 10:10 am (3 years ago)

Oh my goodness he looks so cute!! My sons did a preschool football club; one loved it and did it for two years and the other hated it and did it for two months. They are all different but it is a great experience for them.

7. Honest Mum
    May 12, 2014 at 12:23 pm (3 years ago)

Oh wonderful, so, SO cute!

My eldest is very creative and not particularly sporty (not that there must be a division of course) but my 18 month old appears to be so far, naturally gifted in football, I mean crazily so and not through nurturing him either (although need a class for him soon if one this young exists)!

He was dribbling at 10 months old (not just the teething) and people ask to film him on their phones when they watch him play in the park-he shoots like a pro (I say NO to the filming of course) but think a Youtube outing might be imminent and dreams of playing for England one day (haha). Hope Milin had an amazing time. Sure your daughter will love football too when she gets older. Love seeing girls playing the beautiful game too! #whatsthestory

8. Jenny
    May 12, 2014 at 1:45 pm (3 years ago)

Ahhh what a great moment his first football (soccer jersey) kit. That’s amazing that you as his momma are getting him started on his soccer days! lol love it. Soccer mom alert!!! What a lovely post. Hope he enjoyed it. #whatsthestory

9. Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk)
    May 12, 2014 at 2:00 pm (3 years ago)

I think the earlier you put them on it the better they get. Just me tho. But Tiger Woods started early and look at where he is now =) #whatsthestory

10. sophieblovett
    May 12, 2014 at 4:05 pm (3 years ago)

I think it’s really important to hone in on the things our children show an interest in – we bought Arthur a ukelele after he became obsessed with his dad’s guitar, and whilst he’s way too young to play it properly just giving it a go clearly gives him so much pleasure. Milin looks super proud in his kit! Hope the class went well x

11. suzanne3childrenandit
    May 12, 2014 at 4:20 pm (3 years ago)

I don’t think you can be too young to start a sport – especially if you’re going to be really good at it! You know if he’s ready and go for it, I say! No wonder you are proud 🙂 If you fancy linking this up to our #loudnproud linky on Thursday, this would be perfect for it! It’s over at mine this week. x

12. Super Busy Mum {Debs}
    May 12, 2014 at 5:23 pm (3 years ago)

This is so cute and you’ve every right to make a big deal! I would! I hope he had a blast at little kickers! x

13. Sara (@mumturnedmom)
    May 12, 2014 at 6:10 pm (3 years ago)

Oh, he looks adorable, I hope you both enjoyed it 🙂 #WhatstheStory

14. thenthefunbegan
    May 12, 2014 at 9:44 pm (3 years ago)

Ah, I’ve got pics of JJ in the exact same strip when he was just turned three! I decided he needed to do an organised ‘sport’ too and EJ was a six week old newborn so I was able to sit quietly on the sidelines and provide encouragement! I felt the same about his innate talent with kicking a ball accurately, etc. I now feel a bit guilty that we didn’t re-book for a second season but he then began pre-school and our schedules with his pre-school and my work got a bit crazy. I would have booked for Saturday mornings but EJ is too much of a handful to keep entertained on the sidelines of anything now! Hopefully he’ll have plenty of opportunities for sports when he starts school… X #What’sthestory

15. krissottoh
    May 13, 2014 at 12:29 am (3 years ago)

I can’t wait to sign up my kids for some field sports when we’re back in the UK. When my son was little in London he really enjoyed Saturday morning toddler football sessions. I also believe it’s beneficial for kids to learn playing with a team when they get older. Starting Milin when he’s young will also give him more confidence as a team mate when he’s older.

16. Coombe Mill
    May 13, 2014 at 9:25 am (3 years ago)

One of those outfits that suddenly makes them look like such boys.

17. Charly Dove
    May 13, 2014 at 7:18 pm (3 years ago)

Oh my word Kiran Milin looks adorable in his football kit – and raring to go too! I hope it all went well, you must have been bursting with pride. We’re itching to get POD involved with sport too, she’s just doing a little gymnastics so far. Look forward to hearing how Milin got on, lovely post #whatsthestory

18. Jaime Oliver
    May 17, 2014 at 8:56 pm (3 years ago)

awww what a beautiful post, i don’t think your being over eager! xx